Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What wave?

So you are here now.... right?  Why?  The waves near you are not pumping?  The weather is horrid?  A number of factors can keep us water babies out of our preferred environment, the water, but does that mean we are all dried up?  I live in a high desert environment.  Dry, 3 hours from the ocean and no waves.  Well, no ocean waves that is.  Yeah, I know there are going to be some of you out there saying, "what is a wave if is not in the ocean?".

For a number of year now surfers have been looking to the rivers all over the globe for waves. Near my house there is a wave grinding 24-7 for over 6 months.  Why or why not you would want to surf a wave like this. Consider your last weekend at the beach. Did you hit the road thinking how limited the amount of time on your board was going to be?  Or did you think "Big wave board", only to find out the waves were 2ft?  Imagine the wave report being the same for 4 weeks and good the entire time.

It takes me 15 minutes to get there.  I can crank turns off the lip over 1000 times in 3 hours.  Yes, you are right, this is not an ocean wave.  It makes no difference if you approach surfing this wave as tool to improve your surfing beyond what you could do in 10 summers of paddling around in the ocean.  Sometimes we use a fixed rope to flick into the lip with realistic speed.  How ever you want to do it is up to you.  You will improve your surfing!

The people that surf this wave have decided to keep a lid on it.  If you find it yourself, all good.  If you show up with a crew, you will get a vibe the will make you want to get out and leave.  If you ask me for directions, I will delete your post.  Yes, it's exclusive and I am sorry!  Get out there and do what we all do as surfers, find it for yourself.  

It's warm outside and the water level is good now so don't wait.  Maybe I will see you out there? 

LarryB

No comments:

Post a Comment